Sunday, April 15, 2007

Billings to Idaho Falls, Idaho

DAY THREE:

July 25th was my introduction to a completely different kind of flying. I had flown over mountains in New Mexico and Arizona in the Baron, but now I would be flying through the mountain passes.

Billings airport is at 3,700 ft., but 40 miles further west the landscape rises abruptly at the eastern edge of the Craz and Absaroka mountain ranges, which rise to 13,000 ft. The ceilings were low, the cloud bases were about 2500 ft AGL in Billings. I filed a flight plan for Idaho Falls, got some technical advice from Flight Service, (“If in doubt, stay VFR and just follow the Interstate”), and climbed into the airplane.

My call to Billings Ground for taxi clearance was met with a curt reply “The airport is now below limits, what are your intentions?” The ceiling had dropped dramatically, and since Billings airport sits on top of a hill, the cloud base was only 150ft AGL. I was not in a hurry and I could wait for the weather to clear, but I listened to a VFR-only Bonanza pilot circle the airport at 9,500 ft looking for a hole to descend. From the sound of the pilot’s voice, he was not having a good day. If you travel cross-country, it is wise to get your IFR rating and stay current, even if you never plan to use it. An extra hour on the ground was all it took for the weather to clear. I am not sure how the Bonanza pilot held up, but he was taxiing in as I lined up for departure.


Heading Into the Mountains

The ground West of Billings rises quickly. I flew all the way to Idaho Falls at 8 – 10000 ft, but I was frequently less than 2000 ft AGL. There was no wind, and visibility was 50+ miles ahead and behind me but limited by granite off both wingtips. The low-level airway follows the interstate, and the interstate follows the pass through the mountains. It was a safe flight, but since it was my first opportunity to fly “through” the mountains, I found it very intense. By the time I reached Idaho Falls, I was ready to take a break.


Enroute Idaho Falls


AeroMark, Idaho Falls

I taxied up to Aeromark at Idaho Falls, the “Best Little FBO in the West”. Bob Hoff was there to greet me. Bob is an Aviat dealer, in fact he sold the very first certified Husky in 1989. Bob Hoff had arranged a hotel room for me in town, and had arranged for Bob Jones, the “world’s best Husky instructor”, to give me some dual instruction the next day.

It was Bob Jones’ 80th birthday, there was going to be a party and I was invited! Bob Jones is a legend, he has given many thousands of hours of tailwheel instruction and he is a former FAA Instructor of the Year. There were 80 people at the party, everyone either owned or had owned a Husky, and Bob Jones had given instruction to almost everyone there! The party was held on the grass strip at the Hoff family farm, “Rainbow Ranch”. Bob gave me a private tour of his hangar before the other guests arrived. Inside the hangar was part of Bob Hoff’s aircraft collection. Two Beech Staggerwings, two Stearman (would that be Stearmen?), and several classic Cessna taildraggers, all in mint condition and flown regularly. There were also antique cars and an amazing collection of vintage Harley Davidson motorcycles. Bob has other aircraft and cars in his collection, but they are elsewhere being restored.


One of Bob Hoff's Hangars

Day Three: Departed KBIL Billings MT; Arrived KIDA Idaho Falls ID. Total Flight Time 3.6 hrs; avg speed 72 kts

1 comment:

Amanda Hobbs Dierenfeldt said...

I am writing a book and the man that flies is a photographer. I live by Bob Hoff's Aeromark and am going in to talk to him soon. I googled his name and came upon your blog. I will spend time reading it and hopefully get the inspiration I need!

Amanda