Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Last Day - Grand Forks ND to Carp Ontario

LAST DAY: 31 July 2005:

Grand Forks was not very memorable. Relatively expensive gas, an unremarkable hotel and not much to see downtown. The next morning, I was eager to get back on my way. Airborne at sunrise, there were fairly extensive low stratus clouds so I was forced to fly on top for most of the morning, and a slightly circuitous route across Northern Minnesota to avoid the rain. I could have made it all the way to Thunder Bay, but I wanted a weather update and I needed to provide Canadian Customs (1-800-CANPASS) with an updated ETA.


KORB Orr Regional, Minnesota


KORB Orr Regional

I stopped at Orr Regional for fuel and to call CANPASS. Very quiet airport and a nice looking area but I couldn’t wait long because I had to make that ETA in Thunder Bay. The weather had cleared up, it was sunny blue skies north toward the Canadian border, although the route South of Lake Superior was again getting lousy weather. It was still early, but it looked like there would be thunderstorms along that route in the afternoon.

I left for Thunder Bay, opening my Flight Plan with Flight Services and setting the assigned transponder code for crossing the border. On arrival in Thunder Bay, I was directed to the customs ramp. Although I had met my ETA exactly, I waited a good five minutes before getting out of the airplane and walking inside. There was no-one around, and I used the courtesy phone to contact Canadian customs. “You have a clearance number, thanks for checking in, have a nice day.” I was free to proceed. I like this CANPASS system, I hope no-one abuses it.


Approaching CYQT Thunder Bay, slowing down to make my ETA, what a lot of bugs!

I was ahead of schedule and I could probably make it back to Ottawa that evening if I hurried. I filed a VFR flight plan for Wawa, (Since I was back in Canada, I have to file a flight plan or an itinerary for a flight of more than 25nm.).


Enroute along the North shore of Lake Superior, I could see thunderstorms on the US side of the lake. Sault Ste Marie had reduced visibility, wind but no rain, while Wawa and Elliot Lake were both clear. I had a good tailwind, so I continued past Wawa to Elliot Lake. An hour on the ground at Elliot Lake allowed me to check the weather, have a chat with the airport manager about organising a taildragger fly-in, and top-up on fuel.


Homeward Bound, somewhere north of Lake Superior


CYEL Elliot Lake, Ontario

Departing Elliot Lake, I kept a good lookout for traffic. I had not encountered any other aircraft since leaving Idaho, but descending into Elliot Lake, I was surprised by several floatplanes flying in the opposite direction at my VFR altitude and not making reports on 126.7 nor on the Elliot Lake CTAF. I doubt that they even saw me, they certainly didn’t take any avoiding action.

The sun was setting as I continued along the shore of Georgian Bay. Heading direct toward Ottawa, I could avoid the convective activity that extended over Lake Huron. It had been a long day, and as much as I wanted to admire the lightening over the lakes, I was looking for the lights of Ottawa. It was just after 10PM when I landed at Carp and put the aircraft back into the hangar. I was tired but felt very satisfied at how my first major trip in the Husky had gone.

Weeks later, I was still pumped about my trip but I was already thinking about next year. I saw lots of places in Idaho and Montana that would be interesting to visit. John & Trish told me about flying in Northern Labrador. Bob Hoff told me stories about ferrying Huskies to BC and Alaska. And my teenage son is interested in going across Canada with me next year. Life is great.

Recommended Reading:

• Fly Idaho, by Galen L. Hanselman (press) Q.E.I. Publishing, Box 1236, Hailey, Idaho 83333

• Guide to Bush Flying, by F.E. Potts (press) www.fepco.com Aviation Book Company, 7201 Perimeter Rd South, Suite C Seattle, WA 98108

• Mountain Flying Bible, by Sparky Emerson (press) Aurora Publications, P.O. Box 573, Jackson Wyoming 83001-0573 www.mountainflying.com

Backcountry Flying Associations:

• The Idaho Aviation Association: http://www.flyidaho.org/

• The Montana Pilot's Association (MPA): http://www.montanapilots.org/

• Idaho Aviation Association: www.flyidaho.org

• McCall Mountain Flying Seminars: www.mountaincanyonflying.com/

Idaho Airport and Mountain Pass Webcams:
http://511.idaho.gov/staticMap.asp?display=cams

Johnson Creek Webcam:
http://www.ruralnetwork.net/johnsoncreek/

The Husky Taildragger.info Website:
http://husky.taildragger.info/index.php

2 comments:

Rosa Blenn said...

Hi, Tony. I live in Toronto and want to escape to Elliot Lake from time to time. I don't drive and 7 hours on the bus is a lot so I am looking for someone who occasionall flies up there. Do you or do you know of anyone who does? Thanks very much.

slice india said...

Road launch is good device to overview of map.Anyone can know easily about unknown cities by this electronic device.There are 670 cities are included in this device.This is very nice article to know much more about Road map.price of road pilot on sliceindia.com