Sunday, April 15, 2007

Thunder Bay to Billings Montana

DAY 2:

July 24th was clear and cool. The young lady driving the hotel shuttle complimented me on my “cute” little airplane. I filed a flight plan to Beaudette Minnesota (KBDE) to clear customs. Winds on the nose at over 40 knots, but they seemed to decrease with altitude. At 8500 ft I was making 65 knots groundspeed, and I was concerned about the 30-minute ETA window to meet customs. Winnipeg Radio told me to call US Flight Services for my discrete transponder code to cross the border. The frequency was jammed with dozens of Oshkosh-bound aircraft calling to update flight plans, asking where they could clear customs, asking about their buddies, fuel stops or transponder codes. I quickly asked for my code and revised my ETA for Beaudette.

Three aircraft were converging on Beaudette, two Helios on amphibs and myself in the Husky. Beaudette has a grass runway oriented into the wind. Once overhead, I could see the grass runway was littered with large bales of hay. I took the paved runway instead, practising my crosswind technique and taxiing gingerly to the FBO. A friendly lady from US Customs thanked me for revising my ETA and told me that it saved her a trip, since the two amphibs also required clearance and it was nice of us to arrive together. I assured her that it was my plan to make her day easier. Fuelling took some time since the ramp attendant was out with the tractor gathering up hay bales.


Beaudette Minnesota

With a fully fuelled aircraft and pockets stuffed with granola bars, I left Beaudette and set off for Bismark N. Dakota. Threading my way West between active Military Operating Areas (MOAs), looking out for transiting F-16s and listening for weather updates on Flight Watch, I had lots to occupy my time. I heard from Flight Watch that thunderstorms were building around Bismark, and I would make better time staying further north. I pressed on to Minot, arriving at 1630 local. I asked at the FBO if they had any good hotels to recommend, and they laughed. “The big airshow is this weekend, and the State Fair starts tomorrow – good luck finding a bed here tonight.” Well, I had lots of daylight left, good weather ahead and full fuel tanks.

I continued west toward Montana, not realizing that I had just committed a huge blunder. I had not told anyone back home that I was continuing past Minot.


Billings Montana

When I arrived in Billings it was 2000 local (Mountain time) and getting dark. As I walked into the FBO, my cellphone was beeping to tell me that I had three missed calls and two text messages. Uh oh, not good. My daughter had text messaged, telling me to phone home immediately. I should have realized that it would be 2200 back in Ottawa when I landed ….

The phone call home that night was a chilly one.

Day Two: Departed CYQT Thunder Bay; Customs and Fuel at KBDE Beaudette MN; Fuel KMOT Minot ND; Arrived KBIL Billings MT. Total Flight Time 10.7 hrs; avg speed 88 kts

No comments: