Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My Husky Panel with Garmin 396 and GNS430

This post is for anyone who wanted to see my Husky panel setup with 396 (weather, XM Radio, terrain, etc.) plus IFR certified GNS430 in the panel. These photos are from my summer 2006 trip to Montana.


Summer 2006 - Passing South of Moose Jaw, near the Montana border

The photo shows US NEXRAD data superimposed on the 396 moving map. In 2005 & 2006, only US weather radar (NEXRAD) was available with the XM Wx service. This coverage extended into Canada, but only close to the border and was more reliable at higher altitudes. The weather (green blob) is a summer storm building west of CYMJ. I was en-route Coutts Montana. About an hour later I diverted to Medicine Hat because of a series of thunderstorms moving East across Alberta and Montana. You can see that there is no comparison between the map detail on the Garmin 396/496 and the IFR panel mounted GNS 430 below it.

As of 18 April 2007, Canadian radar data and weather forecasts (METAR/TAFs) are included with the US XM Wx Aviator service, but there is no way for a Canadian subscriber to get that data through their XM Radio Canada subscription. I have e-mailed and called but XM Radio Canada does not seem to understand the issue. A pilot living in Canada has several means to obtain weather data on his Garmin. Having a friend in the US buy a Garmin 496, getting a US XM Wx subscription and then lending you his GPS is one option. Another is to buy the Garmin yourself and get the US XM Wx subscription by using XM Radio gift certificates which do not require an address, or by simply giving XM Radio a US postal address.


The Terrain display - in Montana, just west of Great Falls

With the sensitivity on the terrain warnings turned to "low" - terrain less than 500' below me is yellow, less than 100' below me or above me is red. Here is the same view out the window:



Yes, I do use the XM Radio sometimes ....


And the PIC chooses the tunes.

Headset discussion - I still own a pair of both BoseX and LightSpeed 20XL ANRs but my clear favourite in the noisy environment of the Husky is the Telex Stratus 50D (below)

Telex Stratus 50D Headset

No comments: